Extruding Machine Operator
Responsible for operating and maintaining machines that extrude or draw out thermoplastic or metal materials into hoses, bars, tubes, rods, wires, or structures.
- Select machine dies.
- Determine setup procedures.
- Draw or press metal into shapes and diameters.
- Reel extruded products into rolls.
- Specify lengths and weights of rolls.
- Replace worn dies.
- Set controls to regulate vacuum, air pressure, sizing rings, and temperature.
- Synchronize speed of extrusion.
- Read and interpret blueprints and drawings.
- Locate defects on extruded products.
- Check for conformance to specifications.
- Adjust controls as necessary.
- Splice cables.
- Install, connect, test, and adjust equipment.
- String lines or install terminal boxes.
- Clean tools.
- Position insulation over conductors.
- Seal splices with moisture-proof covering.
- Access areas by climbing pols and ladders.
- Remove excess, entangled, or completed filaments from machines.
- Operate machines that extrude filaments from synthetic materials such as rayon, fiberglass, or liquid polymers.
- Start metering pumps.
- Activate and adjust extruding machines.