Vehicle Hardware Autopilot Firmware Engineering Internship (Spring 2023)
|Job Category||Engineering & Information Technology|
|Location||Palo Alto, California|
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
What to Expect What You'll Do
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 20223 and continue through the entire Spring term AND into late Summer 2023 (ie. through August/September). We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time
, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team's success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you'll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla's mission.
Your application for Vehicle Hardware Engineering Internship - Firmware will be considered across all opportunities for the teams listed below:
- Autopilot Hardware Performance team ensures the quality of the Hardware and Software for current and next generation vehicle programs and is working towards Tesla's vision of fully autonomous vehicles. This team implements the hardware system that processes inputs from a variety of vehicle sensors, evaluates possible vehicle strategies/trajectories, and automate safe control of the vehicle.
- The Software Engineers on the Autopilot Sensors team are expected to develop, test and document software for the Autopilot system. This team solves ambitious and challenging problems in the embedded software space by engaging in real HW/SW codesign tradeoffs of upcoming electric and autonomous vehicles and systems. They design the software architecture and software implementation on hardware through integration, test and high-volume manufacturing
- Autopilot System Validation team develops and manages the system validation and test environment for our Autopilot Hardware. They validate system design functionality, ensure test coverage of various use cases, and develop test environments, regressions, tools, infrastructure, and methodology. This team develops firmware and software drivers to interact with the system.
- The Wireless RF Design Engineering team to owns the lifecycle of cellular RF hardware boards for immediate application within Tesla vehicles. They design Cellular RF hardware board as impedance matching, layout review, bring up prototypes and Co-ex validate with BT/WiFi. They work with RF module/components suppliers and cross-functional staff to optimize RF performance and contribute to vehicle-level systems engineering, architecture issues relating to communications, functionality trade-offs, grounding and EMC strategy, user interface.
What You'll Bring
- Deliver high-quality code in a real-time embedded environment
- Interface with other ECUs in the vehicle, coordinating technical requirements across teams
- Define and review validation test plans.
- Create test sequences to exercise various use cases
- Develop firmware and software drivers to interact with the system.
- Hands-on hardware prototype bring-up, system debugging, verification and code optimization, and manufacturing support.
- Make performance and feature trade-offs to meet product requirements
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or Ph.D. in a relevant engineering program such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- Proficiency in Verilog, System Verilog, C, C++, Go, and/or Python.
- Experience in embedded software development in robotics, real-time controls, or system software.
- Understanding of embedded computer architecture, micro-architecture concepts, and/or embedded systems.
- This location of this role will be in Palo Alto, CA - must be able to relocate for the duration of the internship.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site (free step by step ). Please contact for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice.